Thursday, February 27, 2020

Binky #6: Binky’s Newspaper Interview


Last time, Binky had been charged with vagrancy, loitering, unlawfully allowing pets to desecrate the sacred character of public property and creating a public nuisance.  Judge Stupanzik read the charges, banged her gavel and said “Case dismissed.” As the courtroom cleared, Binky was approached by John Carlson. Carlson was the lead reporter on the Maple Tree Gazette.  He asked Binky if he could do an interview with him. He wanted to find out all about Binky and how he came to feed the pigeons.

They walked over to the coffee shop and sat down. The waitress came right over and greeted Binky warmly by name.  She said, “You are such a nice man and by the way, my customers say they like you too.”  They ordered coffee and muffins. Binky ordered two extra for the pigeons.

As Carlson began to question him he discovered that Binky was from Pittsburgh. Binky said he moved here because he saw a picture of the big courthouse on the square. He knew the pigeons would like it there.  Binky lived just off the Chardon Square. He liked living close to the pigeons.

Binky was excited. He asked if he would be in the newspaper?

“Can we take pictures of the pigeons too,” Binky asked.

“Yes Binky. I’m going to write a feature front page story about you and the pigeons,” said Carlson.

“Carlson asked Binky about all the problems he had on the Square. After probing a little bit Carlson discovered that Binky was sad because that judge was always angry at him.

“If he put the bench back over here, then he could come over and sit with me and feed the pigeons. If he tried it I think he might like it.” Binky suggested.

“I doubt it.” thought Carlsson to himself.

Carlson asked, “
Do the pigeons have names?”

“Binky replied “I guess so, but I’m not sure.”

“How do you tell them apart,” said Carlson.

“Oh, I don’t worry about that,” Binky said.  They know each other’s names.”

“Are the pigeons really your friends,” Carlson asked?

“Well they seem to like me and I like them,” Binky replied.

“Are you angry about that judge putting up that statue of himself with his finger pointing to the police station?” asked Carlson. “No. I thought I would be, but the pigeons like it so it’s ok.”

When they had finished Carlson tried to pay the bill.  The lady at the cash register said “No charge.”  I saw that judge back in July out there on the street with his black robe. He started yelling at Officer Dalton.” He had told Binky that he was headed for choir practice. “It sure didn’t sound like he was singing to Officer Dalton.”

“You know that judge comes in here a lot and doesn’t think he should have to pay just because he’s a judge. Those seminars he puts on might be free but lunch isn’t.”

He came in here back in September with some politician. He said the guy had come all the way from Cincinnati. He said I ought to give him a free lunch. I told him he could go back to Cincinnati and maybe they ‘d give him a free bowl of chili.”

Carlson finished the interview and closed his notebook. He said “Well Binky, I’ve got to get back to my paper.”  

“Yes, I’ve got to get back too,” said Binky. “By now the pigeons will be getting hungry.”



The opinions expressed are solely those of Dave Partington and of course Bud, Randy, Harold, Larry and the rest of the guys sitting at the bar at Bud’s. Bud’s Geauga Corners is a work of fiction. Bud’s Geauga Corners is paid for solely by Dave Partington.

No comments:

Post a Comment